Tuesday 25 January 2011

Stop! the Lloyd Cole Press!! My addiction to Lucky strike explained, my dad's Tanita Tikaram theory is given some kudos and why Daniel Lanois is not the right man!

January's artist of the month Lloyd Cole interview from BBC2's RAPIDO.
We mentioned in our review of Lloyd Cole's first solo album an interview that we couldn't place.
Well we have tracked it down and its cheered us up no end. The feature presents Cole's new image and mindset in terms of his musical direction in 1990 and maps out some of his earlier influences. The narrator of the piece also mentions Tanita Tikaram, which will undoubtedly please my father, who would try to wind me up at the time by claiming both artists were the same person and had I ever seen them together in the same place to disprove this ?
The mixing desk scene that I recalled hearing Sweetheart on for the first time is here and was probably the most well worn VHS strip on the planet until it finally gave way. The roots of the addiction that I had to Lucky Strikes during my twenties has also been revealed to me during this exercise, I knew it must have come from somewhere.
Cole's revelation that he and Fred Maher were pitching to produce the next Dylan album is fantastic, with Cole declaring "Lanois is not the right man", I for one would have been fascinated to see the outcome of that collaboration, and it would have been interesting to see how it may have altered Dylan's path.
Have a look and enjoy this snippet from BBC archives, marking a new chapter in Cole's career and the beginning of his solo work.



No comments:

Post a Comment